The Facebook Artisan Bread Bakers December BOM (Bread-of-the-Month) was English muffin bread, a simple loaf bread. This bread is easy to mix up and requires only one rise, in the pan.
The recipe was inspired by a recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. Here’s my version:
English Muffin Bread
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon instant yeast
• 1 cup milk
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• cornmeal, to sprinkle in pan
1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120°F and 130°F. The liquid should be hotter than lukewarm, but not so hot that it would scald you.
3. Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
4. Beat at high speed for 1 minute, or mix thoroughly with a dough whisk or sturdy spoon. The dough will be very soft.
5. Lightly grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
6. Scrape the dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible.
7. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it’s just barely crowned over the rim of the pan, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the dough is almost finished rising, uncover the dough and preheat the oven to 400°F.
8. Bake the bread for 20 to 22 minutes, until it is golden brown and its interior temperature is 190°F.
9. Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf
This is a simple, delicious bread that is perfect for toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, and French toast